Thursday, April 21, 2011

S is for St. Paul's and Statue


While living in London I fell in love with St. Paul's cathedral.
Some facts about the building:

"St Paul's Cathedral is an Anglican cathedral dedicated to Paul the Apostle. It sits at the top of Ludgate Hill, the highest point in the City of London, and is the seat of the Bishop of London. The present building dates from the 17th century and was designed by Sir Christopher Wren. It is generally reckoned to be London's fifth St Paul's Cathedral, all having been built on the same site since AD 604. The cathedral is one of London's most famous and most recognisable sights. At 365 feet (111m) high, it was the tallest building in London from 1710 to 1962, and its dome is also among the highest in the world. In terms of area, St Paul's is the second largest church building in the United Kingdom after Liverpool Cathedral."


All of this is super fascinating, but what really grabbed me was being inside, looking up at the beautiful, soaring ceiling as the sounds of the men and boys' choir echoed and reverberated all around me--tangible, clear, angelic. Goose bumpy. Whatever you believe in-- it is amazing in person, and as a poet/writer it filled my young, student head with fabulous things. Centuries of human souls captured in sound.

I had a similar reaction when I was in Italy, walked in and saw this STATUE.
 I literally got tears in my eyes--and NO--not because of that, pervs.
It's difficult to describe. It just blew me away. Majestic, powerful an incredible work of art that overwhelms you in person--pictures don't really convey that. How can stone look so life like and evoke emotions?

Ever have breathtaking moments like these?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these pics (which reminds me that I should travel more).

I remember being in absolute awe when I saw mountains for the first time.

TS Hendrik said...

I have always wanted to visit St. Paul's. Those pictures are amazing.

Misha Gerrick said...

I love St. Pauls, but couldn't go in. I wanted to, but I was supposed to see it on my last day before flying home and didn't have the entrance fee.

:-(