Sunday, June 27, 2010

Chillin' with Glenn Morshower

Tonight I went with my sister, Ali (the actor) and my hubby to see Glenn Morshower.
Few actors work as much as Glenn. Check him out on imdb.com and you will be amazed at the scope of this man's career. He's probably most recenly well know for his roles in The West Wing and 24 on TV as well as in the Transformer movies. I loooove him as Aaron Pierce on 24. Amazing. He can emote like nobody's biz-natch.
He's a pro. On and off screen he is the genuine article. He is a dear and sincere man, with courage and confidence and a palpable "givingness" radiating from him.
One of the things he shared with us was his journey in Hollywood. How he landed the roles he landed. The major ingredient to success is to be TRUE. To be empowered by coming into the room to give and not take. To have that New York Yankees attitude-- of course I can do it. Why not? He said that everyone started out as a winner. We are here because we out-swam millions of other potential candidates at our time of conception. The bull we pile around us hides the true us, and thus our potential. Like Michelangelo, we have to remove and chip away all the things that hide the "David" we are.
Attitude. Roll with delays, find opportunity in difficulty and see the inevitability of your own success.
He had some funny stories. He shared a  device he used to relax and add fun in "auditions" (he hates that word and calls them meetings because an audition is a pretense to see if someone likes you-- instead of you going in and BEING). He would put a piece of food somewhere in his clothes. Syrup in his shoes, mac and cheese in his undershorts--whatever! Kid you not! It would take the tension right out of him and remind him that it was all for fun and he said IT WORKS. Haha! That cracked me up.

(Sadly, I only had my phone to take a pic.)
He shared touching stories of loved ones lost and about other people in the business he admires. Martin Sheen being a dear friend and favorite--a man of his word and with true compassion.
He said the grass is not greener on the other side. It is always the color you make it. The grass is a reflection of the landscaper. So-- even if you get a new house, spouse, job etc-- there will come a point when we will have to face that waiting for those things to solve the problem was an inaccurate assesment of what was wrong. Because there we will be--back in the same grass. Learn to landscape and water--go to the root of why your grass isn't green. Prioritze. What do we want more--the luxury of doing nothing about  it--or having a green lawn? Which resonated with me-- it reminded me of an old post of mine Grass-- the root of the matter.
Anyway, he gave so much tonight I can't remember it all. But I left feeling uplifted and encouraged and loved. I can write my novels, I can get an agent. I will be published. Because I have somethng to give and it is good. Why not me?
Thanks, Glenn. You're a great actor, and even greater man. I feel blessed to know you.

15 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Thanks for sharing this post, the photo was great.


Have a good Sunday.
Yvonne,

DJ Kirkby said...

"Everyone starts out as a winner" - love it! Not so sure about the mac n cheese though...

The Urban Cowboy said...

Awesome post! Glenn sounds like a really cool and wise guy. "The grass is a reflection of the landscaper." Now ain't that the truth!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glenn sounds awesome.

Reana said...

Awesome post Jo :)

Mark and Kiss said...

I love the insight and convictions. Totally motivational. I need to water my grass and with all the manure, it should grow beautifully! :) Love you Jo!

Mary Gray said...

Wow! You met him! I love him in 24.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I'm envious of your meeting with him. And his New York Yankee attitude {Of course I can do it. Why not?} reminds me a lot of my young hero, Victor Standish, the street Ulysses.

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment, Roland

Andrea Coulter said...

That is so cool! Glenn's advice is wonderful, and it's lovely that he's willing to share it with people :)

Unknown said...

I love the grass quote. It is so true and I needed the reminder.

Ann Best said...

Soon to be published, you say in your blurb. Congratulations! This isn't easy to do.

I just found you via Mary Gray. BYU caught my eye, too. I got my BA there and then an MFA at GMU in Virginia where I now live.

I just made a comment on your post about your father. What a wonderful man! I would love to know him.

Phoenix said...

Honestly, I don't even have to try to leave food on or in my clothes, I just do that naturally, so I'm totally ahead of the game.

Glenn Morshower sounds very cool. I love his advice to treat auditions like meetings and to take some of the nervousness away - that will definitely help me to not psyche myself out at so many auditions!

Anonymous said...

Wow...I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. It really made me sit back and think about a few things.

Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Wow. This is great. Glenn sounds awesome. Nice post.

Unknown said...

Glenn Morshower will be speaking in Los Angeles on 8/7/10 at the Westin LAX. It's going to be great!
Check it out: http://www.carespeakerstour.com