Saturday, July 21, 2007


As many of you know I am into whole grains (Brown rice, unrefined flours, etc) and no refined sugar. I have found this to be both healthy and liberating. If we are more conscious about what we put into our bodies we will also be more aware of our environment and our own place within it.
"So what the heck do you eat for dessert?", you ask. Surprisingly- the foods I have found are yummy and easy to make. I will post some of these recipes if there seems to be an interest. What I will say is the agave nectar is a versatile and delicious sweetener- I use it for ice cream, cookies, cakes and candies. I order it from Amazon to find a cheaper price than the local Health Store. My sister and I have been using it for years- long before anyone knew what it was or before Oprah made it a a more familiar name. Here are two recipes that can easily lead to more. Thankfully my children love it also.
CARMEL SAUCE
1 cup Whipping cream
1/3 C Agave
Tbls vanilla
Tblsp butter
Dash sea salt
Combine in nonstick saucepan- let boil until golden brown. This recipe can be modified with more or less of any ingredient- I never measure anymore.
BROWNIES
4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
1 ½ sticks butter (3/4 C)
1 C brown rice syrup (found at Good Earth)
½ C Agave
3 eggs
1tsp vanilla ( Or more)
1 C flour (white wheat flour or ½ red wheat, ½ barley or br. Rice flour, Tapioca flour, combine any you like) I like using half Brown Rice and half Tapioca flour.
Chopped nuts optional
Melt choc and butter together, stir in sweetner (adjust to taste some prefer more of one than the other)- Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Add flour and nuts ( or grain sweetened choc chips). Spread intogreased foil lined 13by9 “ pan. Bake 350 for 30 min (give or take a few Toothpick should come out fudgy- don’t overbake. Cool and cut up.
Pour Carmel over it brownies and eat!
Stay tuned for homemade vanilla ice cream!

3 comments:

Mark and Kiss said...

Yum, yum, yum, yum, YUM!

Maribel said...

I tried your recipe for brownies and it's great. Definately post more! Yum (maybe post on food squared?)

MomladyHeather said...

This carmel sauce is to die for!! YUMMMMMY! You clever Jo momma!