Friday, November 11, 2011

An interview with author, Jessica Bell!



The incomparable, Jessica Bell over at The Alliterative Allomorph has released her debut novel, String Bridge. Here's the Goodreads description:

Greek cuisine, smog and domestic drudgery was not the life Australian musician, Melody, was expecting when she married a Greek music promoter and settled in Athens, Greece. Keen to play in her new shoes, though, Melody trades her guitar for a 'proper' career and her music for motherhood. That is, until she can bear it no longer and plots a return to the stage--and the person she used to be. However, the obstacles she faces along the way are nothing compared to the tragedy that awaits, and she realizes she's been seeking fulfillment in the wrong place.


Sounds like an awesome and thought provoking story. It definitely peaks my interest in the book and its author! Let's learn a little more about Jessica...



1.  How do you feel when you perform your music?
A lot like Melody, actually, but perhaps not so exaggerated. Ha. You’ll just have to read the book to find out J


2.  Deal. (= You seem like a poetic sort.   Do you have a favorite poem?
Sea Anemones, by Gwen Harwood

3. Beautiful poem! I love "seasidey" poems. Vanilla, chocolate or cinnamon?
Cinnamon! Actually, I don’t eat it on much more than the Greek sweet called “risogalo,” which means “rice milk.” It’s like custard, but white and made from, you guessed it, rice and milk. But vanilla and chocolate are such plain flavors that I can’t bring myself to choose one of those.


4. Sounds scrummy! Greece or Australia? And what have each contributed to you?
That has to be the hardest question anyone has ever asked me. They are both my home, having spent a great deal of my childhood in both countries. Greece has taught me patience. The bureaucracy here is hell. Australia gives me a sense of security. I know that if I ever choose to go back, I will be safe.


5. So much of who we are is where we grow up. Do you dream in color? In your dreams are you mostly an observer or do you play a role?
Yes. Full color. Do you really want me to answer this? … Ack! I am more often than not, either a victim, or a perpetrator. Hmm … I wonder what this says about me! :-/


6.  Ah- ha! Quite a bit actually! Thomas Moore said: “Far beneath the many thick layers of indoctrination about who we are and who we should be lies an original self, a person who came into this world full of possibilities and destined for joyful unveiling and manifestation.”   What do you think?
I do truly believe that we are conditioned do behave and think in particular ways, but I also believe, that if our character is strong enough, we are able to differentiate between what is ‘real’ and what is ‘expected,’ and make choices accordingly. I think we all live our lives in fear of not being accepted. If only we could over come this fear and just be ourselves ... But imagine living a life free of environmental influences? The possibility of us all becoming serial killers is as big as us all living an unconditionally content existence. Don’t you think?


7. Hmm... Society, with its checks and balances does have its perks.  If you had one piece of advice for your children what would it be?
Everybody’s opinion counts.


8.  I like that. (= What people in your life have most shaped you for good or bad?
I think my mother has shaped me the most. I don’t think I could have asked for a more supportive parent. All she ever wants is for me to be happy. Though she is proud of what I achieved, I think she’d even be proud if I spent my life working as a waitress, as long as I was happy doing so.


9. She sounds like a wonderful, validating woman. How would you describe Jessica Bell to a stranger?
Oh no! I hate these questions! Hahahaha … Um … Apparently my aura color alternates between orange and blue. So you can Google the aura colors and find out. J


10.  So--confident, creative and spiritual. Cool. What brings you the most pain? Joy?
Pain: Seeing animals going through pain or suffering
Joy: Loving and being loved

I totally enjoyed this interview and am eager to read Jessica's book. Best of luck, girl!



7 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Thank you so much for having me on your blog today! :o)

Sarah Tokeley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Tokeley said...

I'm loving the buzz I'm seeing for this book.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

What intriguing questions and thought-provoking answers. I really enjoyed this interview. It revealed a bit about both parties, Roland Oh, and I bought Jessica's book yesterday!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Great interview ladies! Jessica, here's a tougher question - which of those two countries do you want to spend the rest of your life in?

Melanie said...

Ditto on what Roland D. Yeomans said about the interview. Can't wait to read this book.

Melanie said...

Ditto on what Roland D. Yeomans said about the interview. Can't wait to read this book.